NATS NATIONAL STUDENT AUDITIONS
TEXOMA REGION MUSICAL THEATRE AUDITIONS
OFFICIAL RULES AND GUILDELINES
To be fair to all participants, these rules will be followed explicitly, with no exceptions. Read and follow all of these instructions carefully to avoid disqualifications.
Applications must be submitted online.
The application is available at: www.nats.org (click on “NATS Auditions Registration”)
Dear Texoma NATS,
Happy New Year!!
Registration for Texoma Region's online Musical Theatre NATS National Student Auditions is now open. Please carefully review the following calendar, eligibility and registration requirements, and the highlighted changes for these auditions.
[NOTE: If you do not plan to register students for these auditions but would be interested in serving as a judge, please send the Auditions Chair an e-mail (Daniel.HunterHolly@utrgv.edu).]
- Monday, January 17: registration opens
- Monday, February 14, 6:00 pm: registration closes (all student information, repertoire, and payment for registration must be completed by this date)
- Monday, February 21, 6:00 pm: video submission deadline
- Wednesday, March 2: Preliminary Round judging begins
- Friday, March 11, 9:00 pm: Preliminary Round scores and comments are due
- March 12-19: additional rounds as needed
- Results will be announced by March 20
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS (see the National Student Auditions Regulations for full details)
- Teachers registering students for auditions must be members in good standing at the national level of NATS at the time of registration as well as all rounds of the event.
- The region of a NATS member is determined by the physical address in their NATS membership file. Typically, NATS members may only belong to the region of their membership-address. They may only enter their students in that one region’s auditions in accordance with the audition procedures of that region. Exceptions to this regulation may be made with the approval of the Vice President for Auditions, the NATS Competitions and Auditions Coordinator, or the National Student Auditions Coordinator.
- Members may enter only those students currently studying with them in the audition and may not enter students of other members.
- If a student has been studying with a sponsoring teacher fewer than eight months, acknowledgment must be made of the former teacher both on the application and in any public announcements. Members will disclose at NATS events the name of a student's previous voice teacher if the student has studied with the current teacher fewer than eight months.
NATS NSA - MUSICAL THEATRE CATEGORIES*
Full details about the category and repertoire requirements can be found here:https://www.nats.org/_Library/NSA_Files/NSA_Musical_Theatre_Categories_September_5_2021.pdf
- MT 3A – Lower High School Musical Theatre Treble Voice (14-16 years old, 9th or 10th grade)
- MT 4A – Lower High School Musical Theatre TBB Voice (14-16 years old, 9th or 10th grade)
- MT 3B – Upper High School Musical Theatre Treble Voice (16-19 years old, 11th or 12th grade)
- MT 4B – Upper High School Musical Theatre TBB Voice (16-19 years old, 11th or 12th grade)
- MT 5 – Lower Musical Theatre Treble Voice (Age limit: 22 years old, 0-2 years of study post-high school)
- MT 6 – Lower Musical Theatre TBB Voice (Age limit: 22 years old, 0-2 years of study post-high school)
- MT 7 – Upper Musical Theatre Treble Voice (Age limit: 25 years old, 3-5 years of study post-high school, all as an undergraduate)
- MT 8 – Upper Musical Theatre TBB Voice (Age limit: 25 years old, 3-5 years of study post-high school, all as an undergraduate)
*These are the MT categories that are eligible to advance to the next round of the NSA. NATS has updated the category numbering system; some of these numbers may be different than in previous years.
REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS & INFORMATION
- Student registration fee: $5.00
- Registration for the auditions is accessed through AuditionWare, using the same process as previous auditions. You must access AuditionWare through the NATS website(which was updated in September 2021!); if you haven’t seen the website since last January, make sure you give yourself time to login and navigate the new layout. In order to access AuditionWare and register students, you must:
- Login to https://nats.org. The login information for this website is unique to you and administered by the National NATS Office.
- Once you are logged in, navigate to the “Member Home” page (the link is accessed through the “Menu” link, in the upper right corner of the website). [https://nats.org/cgi/page.cgi/members_home.html]
- On the Member Home page, scroll down and select the green “NATS Auditions Registration” box. This will open AuditionWare.
- Near the top of the AuditionWare home page, confirm that the Region is listed as “Texoma Region.” Depending on your NATS Chapter, you may also be working on registration for Chapter Auditions. You can switch back and forth from your Chapter to the Texoma Region using the “Change” button.
- Select the green “2022 Texoma NATS MT Auditions” box. This won’t be available until registration opens on Monday, January 17.
- As you register each student, you must select your institution or “(Name) Private Studio” from the dropdown menu. If your institution and/or private studio is not listed you must email Daniel.HunterHolly@utrgv.edu to have it added to the dropdown menu.
- The High School MT categories are now split into Lower and Upper divisions for the NSA, and therefore, within Texoma Region. Determining the placement for High School students depends on the age and grade level of the student, not the years of study.
- NATS is continuing to allow recorded accompaniments (including programs like Appcompanist); additionally, teachers are allowed to accompany students in their videos so long as the teacher is not visible in the video.
- Published transpositions are permitted.
NATS MUSICAL THEATRE RESOURCES
- NATS NSA Resource Center
- NATS NSA – Frequently Asked Questions
- NSA Musical Theatre Categories & Repertoire Information
- Musical Theatre Adjudication Rubric
- Musical Theatre Audio Examples
- Sample Adjudication Comments for Musical Theatre
- Musical Theatre Online Resources
For further information, please contact:
Dr. Daniel Hunter-Holly
Auditions Chair, Texoma Region NATS
Professor, School of Music
Associate Dean, College of Fine Arts
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley